Find the answers to your questions about New York’s New and Used Car Lemon Law in our New York Lemon Law Fact Sheets
The New York Lemon Laws (General Business Law 198-a) give consumers that have purchased or leased vehicles, both old and new, a legal way to fight back if they find themselves stuck with a lemon. If your vehicle is unable to be repaired by the authorized dealer or manufacturer after a realistic number of attempts during the first two years of ownership or 18,000 miles (whichever came first) or doesn’t fit the terms of warranty, then you may be eligible for a full refund or equivalent replacement vehicle under New York’s Lemon Law.
What’s covered under New York’s Lemon Laws?
The New York law covers both new and used cars, including “demos,” which satisfy the following four conditions:
- The car was covered by the manufacturer’s new car warranty at the time of original delivery; and
- The car was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of the first 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; and
- The car either: (a) was purchased, leased or transferred in New York, or (b) is presently registered in New York; and
- The car is primarily used for personal purposes. Some examples of cars that are covered by the new car lemon law are:
- a) a new car purchased or leased from a New Jersey dealer and registered in New York;
- a year-old, demonstrator car with less than 18,000 miles purchased from a New York dealer and registered in New Jersey;
- a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2-years old, purchased from a Connecticut dealer and registered in New York;
- a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2-years old, received as a gift from a friend and registered in New York
The following links provide more information about New York’s new and used car lemon laws. We recommend visiting the New York State Attorney General’s website for more information, including links to their Lemon Law Fact Sheets and Arbitration Program.
New York Lemon Law Links
New York New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet
New York New Car Lemon Law – General Business Law 198-a
New York Used Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet
New York Used Car Lemon Law – General Business Law §198-b